Mountain Pass Flying
Passes, Passes and more Passes
A popular training scenario we frequently fly with pilot’s looking to learn mountain flying is this itinerary that includes some of the more challenging mountain passes in Colorado. This 3/4 day adventure focuses on terrain flying and pass crossing. From Eagle, we depart southwest over Cottonwood Pass, cross McClure Pass, Kebler Pass, Monarch Pass or Marshall Pass and then return through either Haggerman Pass or Tennessee Pass. If you’re looking for something even longer with some radical terrain we can omit Tennessee Pass and instead fly Freemont Pass to Vail Pass before returning from the east. Along the route there are also numerous opportunities for landings at challenging airports.
Get Started Now
- Private Pilot Ground School – Colorado
- Mountain Flying Video – Route Planning
- Mountain Flying Basics – Pass Crossing Altitude
- Learn Mountain Flying – Topic: Aircraft Performance
- Mountain Flying Basics – Engine Cooling
- Wings Seminar / Safety Seminar Schedule | Loren French
- Night Flight in the Mountains
- Looking & Scanning for Other Air Traffic
- High Density Altitude Takeoff Tip
- Grand Canyon Special Airspace | Flying the Grand Canyon
Alpine Flight School from the Vail Valley Jet Center at the Eagle County Regional Airport, located between the towns of Eagle and Gypsum, Colorado. We offer all levels of instruction in both rental and customer owned aircraft. Come fly with us and experience aviation in the heart of the Colorado Rockies.