Mountain Flying Leadville
There are a couple iconic mountain airports in Colorado that are well worth the effort to visit. As part of our mountain training we frequently visit these airports, among them is Leadville.
Thin air, turbulence, and gusty winds can make any mountain airport challenging for takeoff and landing, but Leadville, Colorado is exceptionally demanding. At 9,927 feet above sea level, Leadville is the very highest airport in the United States. The air is thinner than all but one other mountain airport, creating two problems. When an engine operates thinner air it puts out less power and the plane accelerates more slowly to takeoff speed. Compounding this problem, thin air provides less lifting force on the wing so you need a significantly higher takeoff speed than at sea level. Between these two problems, you can run out of runway before you reach takeoff speed, with obvious, dire consequences. For this reason, pilots must consult performance tables determining the required runway length before undertaking a flight.
Checkout our mountain training programs.
Get Started Now
- Mountain Flying Leadville
- Mountain Night Flight – Full Moon Night over the Rockies
- OpenAirplane Rental in Colorado – It just got easier to rent here in Eagle.
- Mountain Pass Flying
- Colorado Extreme Airports
- Private Pilot Ground School – Colorado
- Mountain Flight Training – Topic: Crosswind Landings
- Mountain Flight Training – Topic: Survival
- Mountain Flying Basics – Pass Crossing Altitude
- Learn Mountain Flying Basics – Route Planning
Alpine Flight School from the Vail Valley Jet Center at the Eagle County Regional Airport, located between the towns of Eagle and Gypsum, Colorado. We offer all levels of instruction in both rental and customer owned aircraft. Come fly with us and experience aviation in the heart of the Colorado Rockies.